Post 16 Options
IT'S YOUR CHOICE
A Post 16 Options event for students in Year 11 took place on 21 October 2020. For those away from school at this time we would like to summarise the information provided during this event, however, please view the Year 11 - Preparing for the Future page for more information about the event and to view the associated documents and links to resources.
The choices Post 16 are:
- Continuing to study at a Sixth Form
- Continuing to study at a College of Further Education
- Applying for an Apprenticeship – or a similar work based learning programme
- Applying for a position within the Forces
- Entering the labour market - although some form of continued training must be attached to the offer of employment to comply with the raising of the participation age
- New T- Levels (Technical qualifications) are being launched later this year (2020). local delivery has not yet been confirmed by the Further Education Colleges, however, the expectation is that Stamford College will deliver a Digital and Construction course in 2022 and Boston College, an Engineering course, also from 2022. A T-Level will be equivalent to three A-Levels.
Parents and Carers also have access to a 'virtual' post 16 information presentation, put together by the Head of Year, Mr Jamie Smith, with support from key members of staff.
All students have access to a range of careers-related resources via their student grid (careers learning apps) the careers library and notice boards and are also directed to specific websites to assist with their career planning and to ensure that guidance is unbiased and impartial.
The local authority no longer provides free access to an external careers guidance practitioner i.e. the former Connexions service, however all Year 11 students will be provided with an opportunity to attend a careers meeting, to discuss their options and ideas.This will usually be with our contracted professional careers adviser Ms Boothby.
Students with additional needs will continue to be supported by our in-house team and will also have support from our external partners.
You can also find some great tips and advice on applying for an apprenticeship via the DfE link below!
Glossary of some useful acronyms:
|A LEVEL||Advanced Level - two year course (Year 12/Y13)|
|BTEC||Business & Technology Education Council|
|CEIAG||Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance|
|DfE||Department for Education|
|GCSE||General Certificate of Education|
|RPA||Raising of the Participation Age|
|WRL||Work Related Learning|
For further information about your child's options Post 16 please contact Mrs Taylor, Careers Leader, on 01778 342159 during school hours, or email
|Post 16 options parents information LT||20th Oct 2020||Download|
|Parents Apprenticeships Guide||02nd Nov 2018||Download|
|Parents Post 16 information||02nd Nov 2018||Download|
|STUDENT Post 16 Options Booklet 2020 21||20th Oct 2020||Download|
|Job profiles and video links greater lin...||20th Oct 2020||Download|